Deep Space – Echo Quadrant 3H-8 – The fully loaded commercial freighter T.C.S. Brown, its seven-member crew in suspended animation, is making the return run to Earth. In the cargo hold lies Dr. Viktor, also in suspended animation, and the mysterious specimen containers that came on board with him.
Awoken from their slumber to repair the damage caused by a meteor collision, the crew discover to their horror that Dr. Viktor has been killed and one of the mysterious specimens has been let loose as a result of the damage…and it is a life form that will stop at nothing to survive. The seven astronauts have only the tools and resources onboard to subdue and kill an organism never before encountered–an organism that evolves quickly into a nearly-unstoppable predator. Now, a simple repair job becomes a desperate struggle for survival.
SPECIMEN is a card-driven two-player board game. Each turn comprises four action rounds, where each player can perform one of several possible game actions. The Specimen’s movements are hidden from the Crew player behind a game screen, and the Specimen’s location is only revealed when the Specimen attacks…or if the crew is lucky (or unlucky) enough to find it!
As the Crew:
• Search the ship to find the monster
• Construct weapons to fight the monster
• Consult the ship’s computer to increase your hand size
• Repair the damaged ship
As the Specimen:
• Choose from 25 different offensive, defensive and special attributes
• Move in secret through the ship
• Stalk the crew and attack out of the shadows
• Destroy the ship by damaging it section by section
Specimen’s artwork includes an impressively detailed top-down ship map, as well as event card images that evoke a live-action sci-fi movie.
This Print and Play edition comes packaged as a single zip file with everything you need to play except for dice. The zip file contains PDF documents for:
• Seven character cards
• Seven character pawns and one Specimen pawn
• 90 strategy cards with cinematic images (one unique 45-card deck per player)
• 25 specimen attribute cards
• 99 game counters
• Segmented game board/ship map (for standard 8.5×11 printers)
• Full 22″x34″ game board/ship map (for large-format printers)
• 3-panel game screen with all the game charts players need
• 43-page rulebook
Specimen requires eleven 6-sided dice to play. Character pawns stand up nicely in plastic stands, available at game stores.
Specimen game, all images and story ©2011 Toxic Bag Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.